Skip to main content

It's not about 2020



It's not about the number. It isn't about a bad year or a global pandemic.

We were all unraveling. 

We needed to be stopped in our tracks and reset. 

Money, things, glitz and glamour. Gossip, lies, false realities. Newsflash: Social media isn't actually LIFE.

When the world shut down, it was all taken away. We were all FORCED to look within... to expose those dirty little secrets and to deal.  We lost jobs, money, community, the ability to move fast and unintentionally. We couldn't cover up our lives on insta anymore. Suddenly a fat dose of reality was served... what's this life? What am I making of mine? WHO AM I and what GIFT do I need to be GIVING?

Light is being shed in my life and cockroaches are dispersing. For me, it's in my relationships, and clarity is in full contrast giving me no option but to SEE who is there and what kind of mutual love is being given. I see my husband and our marriage has never felt so secure. I cherish that man and everything he stands for. He protects me, us all. He is my ride or die, my one. He sees ME and he loves this person. That is a gift that is SO rarely given and it is literally bigger than my brain can comprehend.

I see who I am and am more comfortable than ever in my own skin. This body was given to me and I love it and all of the magic it has performed through my 3 babies. I have fought to have this voice and it is not going anywhere anytime soon. I see my mishaps and I see room for growth. I can recognize my gifts and am finding ways to utilize them. I just want to keep moving, to keep rolling, I want to do the hard stuff. I want to look at the things that have taken up unnecessary space in my heart and bid them farewells. I am JUMPING at new beginnings.

I know where I need to be and the layers that need to be shed.  I have found the ability to put that fight... that passion... into my light, the people who give me and my family life/smiles/happiness, my health, good and healthy relationships, community for my babes. I can't help but feel grateful for the reset and the time that I have been forced to slow down and observe. I am forever thankful to be having conversations that would never have happened, to advocate, to say hard truths, and most importantly to hear. 

2020 was full of isolation, death, overdoses, suicide attempts, stress, FEAR, depression, and uncertainty. Why is it that 2020 gave me an unexplainable amount of peace? It's in the truth. 2020 was hard, but it was full of truth. It showed us what is real, it revealed people's hearts, it showed intentions or lack there of, you saw who would show up and who ... just wouldn't. The economy, the election, the debates, the social media wars. We saw so much truth. Transparency is ugly and scary, but so comforting. There is no place to hide, truth is my peace. 

It's hard... truth. Sometimes it's easier not to see or know. But today the sun is shining and the light is bright. 

Thank you to our neighbors, CrossFit,  Thrasher for constantly showing up and showering our family in love. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

so... about me.

I have been lost. In adulthood. In wife life. In motherhood. Where did I go? Me... Emily. The photo junkie, jewelry artist, music loving, traveling fool. What happened to date nights, or even late nights? Slow dancing to Billie Holiday with a bottle of red while fish tacos cook in the kitchen. I day dream of Costa Rica and shopping sprees, sleeping in with my handsome man next to me and having coffee in bed. Let's talk self care. It used to mean pedicures and massages, a weekend getaway or a girls night. It's no secret that life is hard and somewhere in the midst I've lost myself. I have forgotten who i am aside from being a wife, a mom, a friend, a daughter. I don't get my hair done or my nails. I would die for a massage or just a fancy bath where I could soak as long as I want. I could use a few strokes of mascara and could totally benefit from some whitening strips. I didn't realize I had abandoned not just these superficial things but also TRULY carin

let. that. shit. go.

The stigma. The expectations.  The looks. Society and the approval needed.  It's too much and I just don't want to do it anymore. I wasn't sleeping, my mind couldn't slow down. I felt like I was going to black out, worried about my heart... anxiety.  I have learned that mourning is a big part of life.. like grieving, not beautiful sunsets and a hot cup o joe.  For me, grieving isn't a one part thing, it is ridiculously complex and slightly confusing. We have spent time grieving what we thought life was going to look like and time accepting that it is going to look differently. I had expected that my life was going to look exactly as I had always dreamt... wife, mom, social circles, world travels, big moves, promotions, aunts uncles grandparents, the whole shabang. Never in a million years did I think I would have huge bumps along the way, heavy topics to wade through, the worlds heaviest decisions to make, and then.... all the other normal stuff of wife,mom, social

the Story.

As I sit in this hospital room listening to the clicking of the IV fluids and a sweet little teeny tiny baby snore, I endulge myself with a 16oz mocha and a chocolate chip muffin and think two things: Dollie is the toughest person I have ever met and this shiz has  been hard. Yesterday at 8:00 am central time Dahlia underwent a 4 hour surgery to repair her grade 4 hydronephrosis of her left kidney and to release both of her Achilles’ tendons in her tiny baby feet. At 20 weeks pregnant I went in to Dr. Brody’s office for what I thought was a typical ultrasound. It was me and Brooks and it turned out it was my 20 week anatomy scan. As Robin scanned me she noticed that the baby’s left kidney was dilated but assured me that it sometimes happens and not to freak out. She continued to scan that baby and as she got to the brain she grew more quiet than normal. At that time Dr. Brody popped in and looked at the screen and I could see with the exchange of looks that something was wrong. R