Skip to main content

A tribute to my Uncle Toby Jay.



 Toby Jay Keiser

On August 17,1966 the Keiser family was given one of the greatest gifts they would ever receive. Marilyn delivered a perfectly healthy baby boy, Toby Jay Keiser, who would soon to be the life of EVERY party. He entered the world screaming and he totally made sure his voice would forever be heard.

His mama, my grandma, was young when she had her first child (my dad, Terry). Following that she went on to have 2 more babies before having Toby. He was the youngest of four and welcomed with open arms and a neighborhood full of kids ready to meet him. His mom was his biggest fan and his sister, Tammy, loved to treat him like her own baby, even though she begged and begged for a little girl. You see, Grandma Marilyn, was only 17 when she got pregnant with her oldest who was 18 years old when Uncle Toby was born. He was the baby of the family, Tammy's personal baby doll, and dad and Uncle Tim's little buddy that they drug to college events and the Beta house. The age difference was so big that Toby had tons of parents, which he probably needed :).

The boy grew up surrounded by so much love. He became an avid runner that would eventually translate into running ultra marathons and wearing ALL THINGS Nike. He entered the Navy and served overseas. He met his best friend, turned brother, David and together they dominated the world. Every door he walked in, people turned. Maybe it was due to that smile, or those big brown eyes. Maybe it was because he was SO loud,  or his contagious laugh, or maybe because the jokes NEVER ended. He would prank anyone, use the word "dork" on repeat, and the man had a love for beer. He married Holly and together they had two baby boys, Jared and Dylan,  and tons of horses. Uncle Toby loved to sail, he enjoyed political debates, and he was famous for telling the same story over and over again. 

Speaking of the stories. He could tell a great story. He would get into the role and start flapping his hands around. Everyone listened. If you weren't listening the story got louder. 

He was a breath of fresh air, that man. 

When he met Jill, his eyes went from brown to heart shaped and together they created a life from their dreams. Everything they had ever wanted, they made. Horses, dogs, and kids surrounded him. He loved toys and would always be the first to know about a new car or boat. He was a huge Matchbox 20 fan, super patriotic, and some MAY say opinionated. He was one of the original officers to start the Knox County mounted police program; you may have seen him on a horse at one of the UT football games. When he married Jill, the family became larger and he became a father again to two girls, Tessa and Terra.

He was only 16 years older than me which made him so cool in my eyes. He was the guy who made my friends laugh and did  really ridiculous things. He would always let me know that I still had tons to learn and that I wasn't quite as cool as I thought I was. He always offered his home to me or an ear to listen and would always keep a secret if asked. 

Man, I'm gonna miss Toby. 

Thank you for loving us so well, especially the love you gave Jill. Thank you for all of the jokes and hilarious photos. Thank you for giving Aunt Tammy a kidney that saved her life, thanks for checking my mom and dad sometimes- they need that. Thanks for all of the memories and fun times and most of all, thanks for living it up. Big. Your way. 

Uncle Toby, you truly were one of a kind. I am confident that I will never meet anyone exactly like you and for that I'm thankful. Rest easy, we will catch you on the other side. 

I love you. 


August 17, 1966- January 18, 2021





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

so... about me.

I have been lost. In adulthood. In wife life. In motherhood. Where did I go? Me... Emily. The photo junkie, jewelry artist, music loving, traveling fool. What happened to date nights, or even late nights? Slow dancing to Billie Holiday with a bottle of red while fish tacos cook in the kitchen. I day dream of Costa Rica and shopping sprees, sleeping in with my handsome man next to me and having coffee in bed. Let's talk self care. It used to mean pedicures and massages, a weekend getaway or a girls night. It's no secret that life is hard and somewhere in the midst I've lost myself. I have forgotten who i am aside from being a wife, a mom, a friend, a daughter. I don't get my hair done or my nails. I would die for a massage or just a fancy bath where I could soak as long as I want. I could use a few strokes of mascara and could totally benefit from some whitening strips. I didn't realize I had abandoned not just these superficial things but also TRULY carin

let. that. shit. go.

The stigma. The expectations.  The looks. Society and the approval needed.  It's too much and I just don't want to do it anymore. I wasn't sleeping, my mind couldn't slow down. I felt like I was going to black out, worried about my heart... anxiety.  I have learned that mourning is a big part of life.. like grieving, not beautiful sunsets and a hot cup o joe.  For me, grieving isn't a one part thing, it is ridiculously complex and slightly confusing. We have spent time grieving what we thought life was going to look like and time accepting that it is going to look differently. I had expected that my life was going to look exactly as I had always dreamt... wife, mom, social circles, world travels, big moves, promotions, aunts uncles grandparents, the whole shabang. Never in a million years did I think I would have huge bumps along the way, heavy topics to wade through, the worlds heaviest decisions to make, and then.... all the other normal stuff of wife,mom, social

the Story.

As I sit in this hospital room listening to the clicking of the IV fluids and a sweet little teeny tiny baby snore, I endulge myself with a 16oz mocha and a chocolate chip muffin and think two things: Dollie is the toughest person I have ever met and this shiz has  been hard. Yesterday at 8:00 am central time Dahlia underwent a 4 hour surgery to repair her grade 4 hydronephrosis of her left kidney and to release both of her Achilles’ tendons in her tiny baby feet. At 20 weeks pregnant I went in to Dr. Brody’s office for what I thought was a typical ultrasound. It was me and Brooks and it turned out it was my 20 week anatomy scan. As Robin scanned me she noticed that the baby’s left kidney was dilated but assured me that it sometimes happens and not to freak out. She continued to scan that baby and as she got to the brain she grew more quiet than normal. At that time Dr. Brody popped in and looked at the screen and I could see with the exchange of looks that something was wrong. R