Skip to main content

PEP TALK.




PEP TALK!

You didn’t sign up to be a homeschool mom... me neither. Nonetheless one that schooled from homes and couldn’t take them anywhere... to see anyone... to any playground, bounce house, museum, library. They can’t see their friends, or their grandparents. It’s hard.

Here is the silver lining: life has been so busy. Everyone is running from one thing to the next, constantly. Sometimes you don’t even get that one on one time to truly bond with your kids b/c you’re so focused on getting to your appointment on time. Things are closed, how will you entertain them? For me, God has slapped me in the face to say.. YOU DONT NEED TO ENTERTAIN THEM!!! LOVE THEM. TEACH THEM. SNUGGLE THEM. They are MY gift to you.

This has been such a sweet reminder that we are enough. I love having everyone under one roof. We’re cooking together. We’re doing chores together. We’re going on runs and hikes and i’m teaching them to run! (Like distances). We’re learning, not just schoolwork, but life lessons. I’m being forced to stop yelling, to be empathetic to their tiny selves and to truly see them with NO distractions.

Yes, we’re watching TV. Lots of fighting. Lots of aggravation. But this is a pause in life. We’re being given a PAUSE in life!!! Like... what!!? What a sweet gift!

I never wanted to be a homeschool mom. I look forward to the days of Kidz Klub and school again. But for now, God is stopping me in my tracks and making it pretty clear that these little tykes are sweet. They’re lovable. They’re moldable. And I am their teacher. Today, I vow not to curse. I vow to TRY not to yell. I vow to see them! And then pass them off to daddy at 5:30.

Deep breaths, emily.

You are ok. You can do this.

You CAN do this.

🌈

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

so... about me.

I have been lost. In adulthood. In wife life. In motherhood. Where did I go? Me... Emily. The photo junkie, jewelry artist, music loving, traveling fool. What happened to date nights, or even late nights? Slow dancing to Billie Holiday with a bottle of red while fish tacos cook in the kitchen. I day dream of Costa Rica and shopping sprees, sleeping in with my handsome man next to me and having coffee in bed. Let's talk self care. It used to mean pedicures and massages, a weekend getaway or a girls night. It's no secret that life is hard and somewhere in the midst I've lost myself. I have forgotten who i am aside from being a wife, a mom, a friend, a daughter. I don't get my hair done or my nails. I would die for a massage or just a fancy bath where I could soak as long as I want. I could use a few strokes of mascara and could totally benefit from some whitening strips. I didn't realize I had abandoned not just these superficial things but also TRULY carin

the Story.

As I sit in this hospital room listening to the clicking of the IV fluids and a sweet little teeny tiny baby snore, I endulge myself with a 16oz mocha and a chocolate chip muffin and think two things: Dollie is the toughest person I have ever met and this shiz has  been hard. Yesterday at 8:00 am central time Dahlia underwent a 4 hour surgery to repair her grade 4 hydronephrosis of her left kidney and to release both of her Achilles’ tendons in her tiny baby feet. At 20 weeks pregnant I went in to Dr. Brody’s office for what I thought was a typical ultrasound. It was me and Brooks and it turned out it was my 20 week anatomy scan. As Robin scanned me she noticed that the baby’s left kidney was dilated but assured me that it sometimes happens and not to freak out. She continued to scan that baby and as she got to the brain she grew more quiet than normal. At that time Dr. Brody popped in and looked at the screen and I could see with the exchange of looks that something was wrong. R

let. that. shit. go.

The stigma. The expectations.  The looks. Society and the approval needed.  It's too much and I just don't want to do it anymore. I wasn't sleeping, my mind couldn't slow down. I felt like I was going to black out, worried about my heart... anxiety.  I have learned that mourning is a big part of life.. like grieving, not beautiful sunsets and a hot cup o joe.  For me, grieving isn't a one part thing, it is ridiculously complex and slightly confusing. We have spent time grieving what we thought life was going to look like and time accepting that it is going to look differently. I had expected that my life was going to look exactly as I had always dreamt... wife, mom, social circles, world travels, big moves, promotions, aunts uncles grandparents, the whole shabang. Never in a million years did I think I would have huge bumps along the way, heavy topics to wade through, the worlds heaviest decisions to make, and then.... all the other normal stuff of wife,mom, social