Skip to main content

Dear Dolly.


Dear Dolly, 

We love you. All 5 of us. LOVE you. 

We will be taking our first family of 5 vacay next month for our 4 year old, Lola’s, bday. Destination- DOLLYWOOD! Why? Because she loves you. Like LOOOOOOVES you. 

A little bit about us:
We are the Harmon’s. Adam and Emily are the parents to 3 children who are way too close together 😴: Lola-4, Brooks-2, and Dollie Mae- 10 months.  About a year and a half ago Lola discovered you, “Dolly Partons”, and she fell in love. Car rides became live concerts. The set list? Always a Jolene and 9-5. When she saw your pictures and your beautiful blonde hair, there was NO turning back! Brooks got on board and it was the best to hear a 1 year old singing songs when he could hardly talk. 

They use Adams ukulele as their guitar and they sing and strum.  Then they discovered “Coat of Many colors” and Lola had a ton of questions about the meaning. She told me how rich you were, but I explained to her that you felt rich because your heart was so so so full of love. You didn’t have any money. You didn’t need money because the love you felt was more than enough.  Your mama loved you so much that she made you a coat with every ounce of love in her body, she gave you more than any dollar could ever buy. 

We’re part of the imagination library and have shelves and shelves full of amazing stories to read to our kiddos. The best part, they always look at the picture of you with excitement, “Look! It’s Dolly!!”

See... we had a crazy year last year. We went from “rich” to poor. We fell into hard times and it was ok... it was HARD, but ok. We had each other and we learned so much about life in general. Who knew it would be such an amazing gift! In the middle of it, I found out I was pregnant with a baby girl who had Myelomeningocele Spina Bifida. Money was gone, the marriage was a wreck, we had two little ones and a third on the way with needs we didn’t feel like we could meet. 

Our Dollie was born last July and she is an angel warrior princess! She has had 3 surgeries, 16 sets of casts on her legs, 8 brain mri’s and endless trips to Vanderbilt’s children’s hospital. She goes back for her next surgery in August. She will hardly be 1 and is tougher than any human I’ve ever met. She was the missing link to our family, we thank God for His sweet gift to us every night. (Did you know that Dolly / Dollie means “a gift from God”?) 

Life is hard and this is a lesson we strive to teach Lola and Brooks daily. And even though it’s hard,  you’ve gotta pull up your big girl/boy pants and keep on keepin’ On. Thank you for helping us to teach this lesson and for being an amazing role model for our babes. We are SO thankful they have chosen you...girl- SO THANKFUL! 

So we’re doing it, for Lola’s 5th birthday (June 17) we’re going to Dollywood. The only thing is, she thinks you are always there. She keeps saying “‘mama, Dolly’s gonna be there singing! I’m gonna sing her Jolene.” I thought you might enjoy a video of her best performance. :-) If you are feeling generous, we would be over the moon with some kind of birthday message to Lo. And if by chance you’ll be in pigeon forge (and not Nashville, or LA, or who knows where else!), I know a little girl who would give her right arm just to see your beautiful hair and hear your angel voice! 

Keep doing what you’re doing, you’re changing lives. Xoxo

Love, 
The Harmon’s
Your biggest (little) fans 
Sent from my iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

so... about me.

I have been lost. In adulthood. In wife life. In motherhood. Where did I go? Me... Emily. The photo junkie, jewelry artist, music loving, traveling fool. What happened to date nights, or even late nights? Slow dancing to Billie Holiday with a bottle of red while fish tacos cook in the kitchen. I day dream of Costa Rica and shopping sprees, sleeping in with my handsome man next to me and having coffee in bed. Let's talk self care. It used to mean pedicures and massages, a weekend getaway or a girls night. It's no secret that life is hard and somewhere in the midst I've lost myself. I have forgotten who i am aside from being a wife, a mom, a friend, a daughter. I don't get my hair done or my nails. I would die for a massage or just a fancy bath where I could soak as long as I want. I could use a few strokes of mascara and could totally benefit from some whitening strips. I didn't realize I had abandoned not just these superficial things but also TRULY carin

let. that. shit. go.

The stigma. The expectations.  The looks. Society and the approval needed.  It's too much and I just don't want to do it anymore. I wasn't sleeping, my mind couldn't slow down. I felt like I was going to black out, worried about my heart... anxiety.  I have learned that mourning is a big part of life.. like grieving, not beautiful sunsets and a hot cup o joe.  For me, grieving isn't a one part thing, it is ridiculously complex and slightly confusing. We have spent time grieving what we thought life was going to look like and time accepting that it is going to look differently. I had expected that my life was going to look exactly as I had always dreamt... wife, mom, social circles, world travels, big moves, promotions, aunts uncles grandparents, the whole shabang. Never in a million years did I think I would have huge bumps along the way, heavy topics to wade through, the worlds heaviest decisions to make, and then.... all the other normal stuff of wife,mom, social

the Story.

As I sit in this hospital room listening to the clicking of the IV fluids and a sweet little teeny tiny baby snore, I endulge myself with a 16oz mocha and a chocolate chip muffin and think two things: Dollie is the toughest person I have ever met and this shiz has  been hard. Yesterday at 8:00 am central time Dahlia underwent a 4 hour surgery to repair her grade 4 hydronephrosis of her left kidney and to release both of her Achilles’ tendons in her tiny baby feet. At 20 weeks pregnant I went in to Dr. Brody’s office for what I thought was a typical ultrasound. It was me and Brooks and it turned out it was my 20 week anatomy scan. As Robin scanned me she noticed that the baby’s left kidney was dilated but assured me that it sometimes happens and not to freak out. She continued to scan that baby and as she got to the brain she grew more quiet than normal. At that time Dr. Brody popped in and looked at the screen and I could see with the exchange of looks that something was wrong. R