Skip to main content

Surgery #2





Dollie is scheduled to have a pyeloplasty on her left kidney on Wednesday November 14 at 8:00 am central time. I am in no place to answer questions, talk details, or small talk... just vein real. Please feel free to research it... and also PLEASE keep her in your prayers as this day approaches and she spends 2 hours in the OR.

Dolls has had an issue with her kidney being dilated since I was 20 weeks pregnant... I have known this time would come and we want to make sure we are doing everything possible to ensure health. Before we ever saw brain ventricle dilation, before we ever knew it was myelomeningocele... we saw the kidney. I had so much hope that it would resolve itself, it just hasn't. This isn't an elective procedure... this is mandatory to save her kidney.

So the bladder has a small tube at the bottom of it that attaches it to the kidney... the ureter. Right where Dahlia's bladder and kidney attach the ureter is pinched, so to speak. The kidney is an organ that deteriorates rather quickly. If we don't repair this issue, her kidney will deteriorate and eventually fail. Yes, you CAN survive with one kidney... but for someone who will likely have kidney/bladder issues as she goes through life... do we really want to risk that with ONE healthy kidney. Nope. 
Dr. Douglass Clayton will remove the damaged (pinched) part of her ureter and connect healthy ureter to healthy ureter. This will allow the kidney to fill and empty as it's supposed to. He will insert a stent into the repaired ureter to prevent any urine leak and the stent will be removed in a few weeks. She wont need additional stents moving forward. 

I was informed that in the 50's only 78% of children born with Spina Bifida survived through infancy. That has since changed. DUE TO surgical intervention. We have lots of surgery ahead, guys. 
The surgery should take 2 hours. We need to arrive at 6:00 am Nashville time and the surgery will begin at 8:00 am Nashville time... GREAT PRAYER HOUR. Dollie will spend the night at Vanderbilt that night and if there are complications her stay will be longer. 

I pray that we head home on Thursday with a fussy and tired baby who is ready to spend some time in her own bed, nurse like mad, and rest in her own home with her own super loud and crazy family. I pray that this is all we have to do to resolve the kidney issue. I pray that she will have two totally awesome kidneys following this. I pray that God will hold her when I can't. I pray for Dr. Clayton to be well rested. For his hands to be controlled by our ever amazing Father. I pray that she feels no fear, that I can keep my cool, that she feels my calm and trusts that she will be ok. I pray that He will make her a living testimony to His power, to His strength and His love for all of His children. I pray for Dahlia Mae Harmon to be a WALKING testimony of His MIRACLES. 

He made her perfectly... He knows every ounce of her sweet little body. She is His daughter, He just trusted us to raise her. He knows her story already, our story. Our Father has been SO SO SO faithful to us, He will in NO WAY abandon us half way through the story. Please join us in any or ALL of these prayers for our sweet little baby doll. In His Name.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

so... about me.

I have been lost. In adulthood. In wife life. In motherhood. Where did I go? Me... Emily. The photo junkie, jewelry artist, music loving, traveling fool. What happened to date nights, or even late nights? Slow dancing to Billie Holiday with a bottle of red while fish tacos cook in the kitchen. I day dream of Costa Rica and shopping sprees, sleeping in with my handsome man next to me and having coffee in bed. Let's talk self care. It used to mean pedicures and massages, a weekend getaway or a girls night. It's no secret that life is hard and somewhere in the midst I've lost myself. I have forgotten who i am aside from being a wife, a mom, a friend, a daughter. I don't get my hair done or my nails. I would die for a massage or just a fancy bath where I could soak as long as I want. I could use a few strokes of mascara and could totally benefit from some whitening strips. I didn't realize I had abandoned not just these superficial things but also TRULY carin

let. that. shit. go.

The stigma. The expectations.  The looks. Society and the approval needed.  It's too much and I just don't want to do it anymore. I wasn't sleeping, my mind couldn't slow down. I felt like I was going to black out, worried about my heart... anxiety.  I have learned that mourning is a big part of life.. like grieving, not beautiful sunsets and a hot cup o joe.  For me, grieving isn't a one part thing, it is ridiculously complex and slightly confusing. We have spent time grieving what we thought life was going to look like and time accepting that it is going to look differently. I had expected that my life was going to look exactly as I had always dreamt... wife, mom, social circles, world travels, big moves, promotions, aunts uncles grandparents, the whole shabang. Never in a million years did I think I would have huge bumps along the way, heavy topics to wade through, the worlds heaviest decisions to make, and then.... all the other normal stuff of wife,mom, social

the Story.

As I sit in this hospital room listening to the clicking of the IV fluids and a sweet little teeny tiny baby snore, I endulge myself with a 16oz mocha and a chocolate chip muffin and think two things: Dollie is the toughest person I have ever met and this shiz has  been hard. Yesterday at 8:00 am central time Dahlia underwent a 4 hour surgery to repair her grade 4 hydronephrosis of her left kidney and to release both of her Achilles’ tendons in her tiny baby feet. At 20 weeks pregnant I went in to Dr. Brody’s office for what I thought was a typical ultrasound. It was me and Brooks and it turned out it was my 20 week anatomy scan. As Robin scanned me she noticed that the baby’s left kidney was dilated but assured me that it sometimes happens and not to freak out. She continued to scan that baby and as she got to the brain she grew more quiet than normal. At that time Dr. Brody popped in and looked at the screen and I could see with the exchange of looks that something was wrong. R