Skip to main content

Poppin that 1950s housewife dream

Poppin' that 1950's housewife dream.

I try.

I REALLY try!

I remember I used to fantasize about being a 1950's housewife (so much so that my counselor even knows allllll about it). I pictured my children waking up to the smell of bacon, cutting sandwiches into sweet little crustless hearts and leaving handwritten notes in each lunch box. Every evening faced, well-manored children would dive into daddy’s arms as he walks in briefcase in hand. I would kiss him gently and tell him to put his feet up and turn the news on while I handed him an icy mugged beer and pulled bread from the oven. My lips would be glossed, I would have a new strappy dress on and my house would match my appearance. Fresh cut flowers to greet any and all guests as well as the smell of lavender candles and dim lights.  After saying hello, we would walk around and admire my home, my garden, my art.

FOR REAL, EMILY?  GET A REAL JOB.

I mean... THAT is ridiculous.

This is real life: I pick up in the morning, I start some laundry, get the dishwasher loaded, sweep the floors and head out for some energy burning fun with the babes before lunch. We come home for lunch and get ready for naps and suddenly- MY HOUSE IS TRASHED. Like... HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN? Everyone naps, we wake up and come up with an afternoon activity that often involves having a friend come and play.

When I first got married, my house was SPOTLESS before anyone entered. I had the flowers, the candles, even the cool art and garden. I wouldn't even invite anyone over unless I knew I had plenty of time to get my life together first... that perception was what I craved. I needed people to see me that way to feel accepted... accomplished... the world needed to know that I had it together and that I was a good wife.

Now, I'm not saying I don't take pride in my "things"... but I am saying that "things" don't matter to me as much now as they did then. I am SO imperfect and I have no energy to pretend otherwise. It's so freeing to live a life of truth... a "take me as I am" motto. Really, take me as I am... if you don't like me, let's iron that out now- no hard feelings ya'll.

It's exhausting to pretend to be something you aren't and what's the point? What do you have to prove?

It's been a learning process for me to say "SURE! Come on over!" when my house is trashed and a friend asks to bring dinner. But... this is ME. This is US! And having people who love us and want to be around us is so precious. Why would I prioritize my appearance and the perception of my family over having community who wants to take me as I am, who loves us for US? <-- UNCONDITIONAL love... loving for who you are... under any circumstance... open armed... no stipulations. WHAT A GIFT.

Today I've got a little challenge for ya... it will likely make your skin crawl a bit.Accept a friend's kindness, let them do the dishes or bathe your child. Let them see you without your mask on and in your YOU-ness. It's a gift you will give not only yourself but that person who just wants to show you their love. Afterall.. that's what it's all about, right?

Spread the love and raise kind humans, it's all we can do.
xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

so... about me.

I have been lost. In adulthood. In wife life. In motherhood. Where did I go? Me... Emily. The photo junkie, jewelry artist, music loving, traveling fool. What happened to date nights, or even late nights? Slow dancing to Billie Holiday with a bottle of red while fish tacos cook in the kitchen. I day dream of Costa Rica and shopping sprees, sleeping in with my handsome man next to me and having coffee in bed. Let's talk self care. It used to mean pedicures and massages, a weekend getaway or a girls night. It's no secret that life is hard and somewhere in the midst I've lost myself. I have forgotten who i am aside from being a wife, a mom, a friend, a daughter. I don't get my hair done or my nails. I would die for a massage or just a fancy bath where I could soak as long as I want. I could use a few strokes of mascara and could totally benefit from some whitening strips. I didn't realize I had abandoned not just these superficial things but also TRULY carin

the Story.

As I sit in this hospital room listening to the clicking of the IV fluids and a sweet little teeny tiny baby snore, I endulge myself with a 16oz mocha and a chocolate chip muffin and think two things: Dollie is the toughest person I have ever met and this shiz has  been hard. Yesterday at 8:00 am central time Dahlia underwent a 4 hour surgery to repair her grade 4 hydronephrosis of her left kidney and to release both of her Achilles’ tendons in her tiny baby feet. At 20 weeks pregnant I went in to Dr. Brody’s office for what I thought was a typical ultrasound. It was me and Brooks and it turned out it was my 20 week anatomy scan. As Robin scanned me she noticed that the baby’s left kidney was dilated but assured me that it sometimes happens and not to freak out. She continued to scan that baby and as she got to the brain she grew more quiet than normal. At that time Dr. Brody popped in and looked at the screen and I could see with the exchange of looks that something was wrong. R

let. that. shit. go.

The stigma. The expectations.  The looks. Society and the approval needed.  It's too much and I just don't want to do it anymore. I wasn't sleeping, my mind couldn't slow down. I felt like I was going to black out, worried about my heart... anxiety.  I have learned that mourning is a big part of life.. like grieving, not beautiful sunsets and a hot cup o joe.  For me, grieving isn't a one part thing, it is ridiculously complex and slightly confusing. We have spent time grieving what we thought life was going to look like and time accepting that it is going to look differently. I had expected that my life was going to look exactly as I had always dreamt... wife, mom, social circles, world travels, big moves, promotions, aunts uncles grandparents, the whole shabang. Never in a million years did I think I would have huge bumps along the way, heavy topics to wade through, the worlds heaviest decisions to make, and then.... all the other normal stuff of wife,mom, social